Skip to content
Work and Travel Company

Car Buying FAQs

See below some useful information and answers to the most frequently asked questions about buying a car in Oz

  • It is much easier to transfer the registration of a vehicle when it is registered in the same state, as you are purchasing it from, i.e buying a car in NSW that is registered in NSW.
  • If you buy a car that is registered in a state other than the one you are in, you will need to go to the other state within 14 days to change over the registration to your name. The only exception to this is Western Australia, as you can change registration online.
  • It is recommended that you do not buy a car that is not registered, as it is likely that you will need to pay for safety checks and any parts to be fixed, plus the full cost of the registration.
  • Drivers under 21 may need to pay a surcharge to be insured.
  • Only 3 companies insure backpackers to drive in Australia – AAMI, NRMA, Commbank.
  • We recommend that you get third party insurance as a minimum and consider extras such as fire and theft cover.
  • Roadside assistance as an extra insurance option and costs around $100 – $150 extra for a year.
  • The average spend on for backpacker car is $3500 – $5000.
  • The average spend on a campervan is $4000 – $10,000 depending on type of vehicle and inclusions.

Want to know more?

Come in to the office in Sydney to talk to us.

Got a question?

Need advice from a travel expert?

Live Chat with us using the button below or send us a message!